Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cincinnati Reds... Catch The Fever!!!

Yeee to the Ikes! Not sure if anyone endured the pain of listening to the first Reds game yesterday, but I did. I know they always say, "don't put too much stock in this, it's only the first game," but I can't help it, I'm just a negative person. In my world the sky is ALWAYS falling, especially the sports world.

My favorite point in the game may have been early on when Jeff Brantley (whom I think is the best thing to happen to Reds broadcasting in years) said after a number of reds had gone down swinging "This early in spring alot of players strikeout because pitchers are so far ahead of batters." Then almost on cue the top of the inning ends, and in from the bullpen trots the Magic Man, Gary MaJEWski. He promptly gives up 6 runs on what seemed to be 27 hits in like 5 minutes. Here's what my office sounded like as this was going on, "Hey Brad can you hel... double to right, single, ding ding (my email going off) single up the middle, double, DICK POLE visits the mound (finally), triple, hey an out! ding ding (it was Lindsey) double, single, Dusty comes out to relieve the pain with Coutlangis, HOME RUN!" Good thing the pitchers are ahead of the hitters or that could've gotten ugly!

I guess what bothered me about the situation is this, as much as I hate Majewski, he kind of got thrown to the wolves. If you are Dusty and you have a pitched who is coming off of a year and a half of not throwing alot don't just run him out there with no backup. Put him in the game and have Coutlangis start throwing now, I couldn't believe they let the Phils get 5 hits off Majewski before anyone got off their arse in the bullpen! This early in spring training there is no reason for a reliever to face more than 5-6 batters, or maybe let them work themselves out of a jamb, but in this case majewski wasn't even good enough to get himself INTO a jamb, because there was never more than a guy or 2 on base. Anyway, I guess he didn't walk anybody, so that is good!

Oh well rant over... for now!

3 comments:

Simon said...

Yeah, Jew-boy looked (sounded) horrible! By the way "construction-boy" I don't think the word "jamb" applies here, I think you're looking for "jam".
But it's still real early, I don't blame them for tossing him in and seeing how he's going to do, it is SPRING TRAINING.

DJ Hotlunch said...

My fault on the word jamb, forgot it's spelled jam in the real world, by the way is it spring training if it's winter? Who are we trying to fool here, spring doesn't start til the end or march, hence the cold as hell mornings and snow on the ground. Global warming my ass, it's a hoax!

Simon said...

Yeah that Al Gore is full of crap! Good thing he wasn't president!